2005-07-08

Food Shortage

Browsing the bbc news site I found this article about the food crisis in Niger. Has anyone out there heard of the country Niger before? Not Nigeria...Niger, different country. We spent 1 year there in 2000 to 2001 and I found this article so sad. We've been to Maradi and in fact SIM has a large base there working in agriculture and church planting so it's very sad to hear about how many are dying from a lack of food.



Michael with some kids at a school near Maradi. These kids will be ok as they are in an SIM based school but it's kids like these that are dying there.



This is the landscape, very dry, nothing much grows there.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

Did you hear my interview with John Wilmot from Global Interaction on Thursday morning? John has been helping people in around 140 villages in Malawi to learn better farming methods. He has a fascinating story to tell.

1:41 pm  
Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

I'm afraid I didn't. I was tucked up in bed still in the last throws of the cold. I've heard about the Wilmot's around the place (being a Baptisty and all). It's very intersting to me as what he does is similar to what SIM does in Maradi (where we visited in the article), agricultural missions where they outreach by educating and retraining the national people to manage their crops better. Would have been an intersting interview. BTW - were you able to put my interview on CD?

4:00 pm  
Blogger Garth said...

Its amazing the real news that's out there that simply doesn't get reported. Currently I am following the situation in Dafur, with its genocide and starvation.

No Oil means not newsworthy I guess! Keep the awareness happening mate!

7:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Friday

  • My WishList
  • Powered by Blogger