2005-08-31

Missionary Question

I hold the view that all Christians are missionaries but I've come across people who strongly oppose this idea. I suppose for me it comes down to what your definition of a missionary is and what their job description is. I believe that the task of spreading the good news of Salvation belongs to anyone who has believed in what Christ did for them on the cross and that the job description of a missionary is to spread this news. This is why I hold this view. Others have told me that a missionary is someone who works cross-culturally or in an overseas context. Personally I see 'location' as the least important part of the equasion. What do you think?
(this is a fav pic of my Dad, he and Mum are missionaries in PNG)

1 Comments:

Blogger Garth said...

I would humbly say that you are correct..its not just your opinion...you are right on this!
None of us have the luxury of not sharing the hope that is within us.

I have to say that this sort of thing just happened to me this week and I went away sad and a bit mad. I went from excitedely sharing a situation that has unfolded for us (a new relational connection) and was told to be careful of 'those types'. The Christian who berrated me told me they don't have any time for 'those sort of people'...I just can't make sense of that sort of opinion that says, "The responsibility is not mine"...And secondly, my opportunity is simply energising for me to see God's hand in something , only to be pulled back down with such negativity.

Yep, we are all missionaries, we are all to act upon social injustice, we are all counsellors etc etc (though some will do a better job than others and some will have a special calling). None of us are pew warmers!

7:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Friday

  • My WishList
  • Powered by Blogger