2006-11-10

Illustration Friday - 'Clear'

IF theme this week is Clear and when I did this painting it was controversial, mainly because it was meant to be. I think the message of this one is clear. This was from a series of etchings I did in my printmedia class. There were other words I used as well (but can't remember what they were right now). Do you think the message is clear in this one or perhaps each person will get a slight variation on the theme? It's not meant to be offensive, my aim was to make reference to the way that the children of the world are often thought of (slave labour, childhood prostitution or other less obvious ways).

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely illustration. The word possession made me stop and think about the term; but not in a bad way.

(always enjoy looking at your bald little baby on the right when I visit your site)

11:47 pm  
Blogger Dorkus Americanus said...

The first thing I thought of was possessed by the devil and needing an exorcism. Then I read your bio and thought that you probably didn't believe in that stuff.

Sorry. It's still close to Halloween and I watched a lot of silly movies on TV recently.

12:35 am  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Nice! :-)

2:46 am  
Blogger Hannatu said...

Interestingly, I thought the same thing as Suzy because she is an African woman and because demon possession is very common here. Your post explains it. Then the word "Captured" or "Owned" popped into my mind. Of course, "possessed" can mean more than what I first took it to mean when I saw it. It's thought-provoking, anyway, and I'm sure that's what you wanted! Keep up the good work.

6:51 am  
Blogger carla said...

I didn't initially see this as a child. It looked like a woman, so the possession concept was clear to me in that way. Either way, it makes a strong staement with a striking visual. The blue tones make it feel sad. Good work!

9:35 pm  
Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

Thank you for all your comments, I'm always keen to hear how people have interpreted my artwork and it's nice to see things from your first impressions. All the descriptions you have concluded work for this painting so I'm glad you shared them. It's easy to do lovely asthetic pieces all the time but what's artwork without controversy or addressing issues such as these.

9:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Friday

  • My WishList
  • Powered by Blogger