2005-10-28

20 to 1 Best Aussie Song

I watched the show 20 to 1 last night on Channel 9, it was about the top 20 songs in Australian music of all time. It was fun to listen to some of the songs that came out of my high school era (late 1980's, early 90's) but I was surprised at their number one choice which was 'Friday on my mind' by the Easybeats. I guess it's not something I grew up with or a song from my generation. I'd heard it plenty of times before but it wouldn't have been my number one choice. I was pretty pleased that great Aussie songs such as 'Great Southern Land' by Icehouse and 'Land down under' by Men at work made it into the top 20. Those songs are such great Aussie icons. Which song would you have put as the top all time best Aussie song?

9 Comments:

Blogger Rodney Olsen said...

I thought Eagle Rock might have got the top spot but I reckon they got it fairly well right with the Easybeats. If not top spot it certainly deserved to be up there.

I was surprised that they put John Farnham's song down at 19. Even Natalie Imbruglia's song Torn was ranked higher and while I think it's a great song, it's certainly not going to be remembered as well as You're the Voice in ten years time.

8:36 am  
Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

I agree about You're the Voice, not sure why Torn was in there when there could have been other great choices, I guess it's all subject to personal choice. Not sure how they came up with the list though.

10:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amanda I would have put Great south land number one it would make a great national anthem.

11:50 am  
Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

Is that 'Great South Land' or 'Great Southern Land' because they are two different songs.

10:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only song I can think of that has the lyrics "Great South Land" is Best of Both Worlds by Midnight Oil. The lyric in question is:

"The great South Land can be as great as the one it could have been"

8:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what was that really funny poem slash song that was about number 15 and i think it was called australiano but im not 100
% sure hoo its by. i really want to find it

4:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what the list was from 20 - 1. Were mainly wondering what song was the first Aussie to hit No. 1 in the US.

6:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can read the lyrics at this website for the the Australiana poem http://justin.justnet.com.au/oz/australiana/

6:58 pm  
Blogger Amanda Hunt said...

Ok, I'm a bit confused here. This post was from last year when this show was shown on Aussie TV. Has it been shown again somewhere else?? Thanks for your comments btw!

8:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Friday

  • My WishList
  • Powered by Blogger