2005-07-30

Colour Coded for Death

This article on the Reuters website caught my attention and caused a lump in my throat. It seems that aid agencies are 'tagging' infants in villages in Niger, red for 'severely malnourished' and yellow for 'moderately malnourished'. The red ones aren't expected to survive the crisis. It also seems that most of the men have left the villages and even the country to head to the city or surrounding countries to find work. It also seems that it's too late.

I really feel for those who are working amongst these people in Niger, I have quite a few friends who are missionaries there and plan on trying to contact them for some direct information. Maybe we could use the red and yellow tags to promote the cause somehow. Anyone got any ideas?

More Nigerien kids from our trip, this is how they're meant to look.

3 Comments:

Blogger Garth said...

I know what you mean, and some sort of colour tag would be a good idea. And yet I know if casual readers skim across our pages they will probably not be greatly motivated unless they've 'got the fever' from God. Its really mad hey! I guess if 6 out of 10 blog sites they come across are advocating the cause then they might pull up long enough to listen.

I say we keep posting and encourage others to do the same until our community is all talking about it. Go with the colour thing too!

By the way we had our garage sale today and outstripped expectations!

All the best mate.

7:13 pm  
Blogger Jenni said...

I can't help but think how the West would respond if this was happening in the US or UK. Would this even get to the point of "color-coding"?

I agree with Garth, we need to keep letting people know what is happening and pray for the Holy Spirit to stir people to action.

3:09 pm  
Blogger Erin said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my place, Amanda! I look forward to reading through your recent posts... I have much to learn from you.

I thank God for your open heart...

10:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Photo Friday

  • My WishList
  • Powered by Blogger